Monday, May 2, 2011

Wk1_Topic #2_ Technology in my workplace

Topic #2
My district really does a great job with keeping up to date technology for educators to utilize in the classroom. They purchased classroom macs, and have 3 mac labs for my school alone. The tech dept provides summer professional development to learn or to brush up on using the apple applications associated with the mac. They also have purchased ipod touches, and ipads for student learning. Each classroom is equipped with a projector that can be attached to teacher macs, as well as an ELMO that is similar to an overhead. We were also provided with an interwrite pad that allows educators to freely roam the classroom, while still using the teacher mac that reflects the lesson on a wall projector. Kids really think this is a cool tool.

With all of the technology, I have noticed that teachers at my school are overwhelmed with the many technology features that have been provided to use in the classroom. Even though they may attend these technology professional development workshops to learn or get reacquainted with the tool, they are still intimidated to use them.

I have always felt comfortable with using these tools, and use them on a daily basis with my curriculum. It is funny because I am considered a "speedboat learner" in my district, and other colleagues have turned to me for guidance to implement technology in classroom. I notice they are excited when they learn how to use a new tool, and can not wait to utilize it in the classroom. But we all know...that if you don't use it...you lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment