Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wk4- Art of Possibility- My Response to Spencer Lunsford

Spencer Lunsford's Comment to Art of Possibility- Ch. 9-12
EDM613 - WK 4 Reading - The truth hurts sometimes

For me, being the board has all kinds of difficulties that come along with the notion. I have been able to find solace in the blame game for my entire teaching career. The students that come to me are usually several grades behind in their mathematics knowledge. Much of this is due to (here comes the blame) teachers being "run off" by the bad acting children. In fact the students brag about how many teachers they have been able to get to leave. Having to accept responsibility of how I react to the situation will make me a better teacher from here on out. Instead of being able to write off the students that are not understanding what they ought to have learned in the past, I now have sparks to light. The students are on my board and I get to bring them to new places with new learning experiences. I can fight the facts that they are behind, or I can find out where they are and bring them as far around my board as possible in the time we have together. I can be just another voice telling them what they can't do, or I can be a refreshing fountain of encouragement. The art of possibility is just that, an art. Some people are naturals, others have to work hard at it. The great thing about the art of possibility is that everyone can grow.

My Response to Spencer Lunsford-
Wow- I love your last line, "The great thing about the art of possibility is that everyone can grow." As educators, we know that we must be forever changing our philosophy of thinking and ways to implement those thoughts to others.

I can understand the frustration level of wishing and wanting your students to be on grade level. I am impressed that you are changing your philosophy of on grade level students. Because you and I both know that year after year, we see the same kinds of students fall further and further behind, and all we can do....IS OUR BEST!!!

My best is:
Come to work every day with a positive attitude.
Provide my students with a positive atmosphere.
Have them understand that working hard really does pay off.
And that I really do care for them.

Students will respond, they may not jump grade levels, but at least they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment