Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BP_5 Wordle

Wordle

     When I began my journey with Full Sail University, I was introduced to so many technology tools that I could use my classroom. One tool that I remember hearing in MLT, Multiple Learning Theory, was Wordle. With the hectic opening of school, keeping up with my Full Sail studies, and taking care of my family, I was unable to look into the Wordle tool.
     I was excited to see Wordle included on the Web 2.0 Guru list. Wordle can also be found at www.wordle.net.  Wordle is a wonderful Web 2.0 tool that any educator can use in their curriculum from elementary students to graduate students. It’s easy, educational, and fun. The best feature about Wordle, is that it’s free. This tool is so easy to operate, that I plan to use Wordle with my third grade students this Friday.
     I can’t wait to introduce my students to Wordle, because they will be motivated to work on the computer and add their own creativity to their project.  Students will use this Web 2.0 tool as a review for functions of the body unit. My students have been learning parts of the body and the importance of their functions. For instance, lungs (body part) help us breathe (function). After a quick verbal recap of all the body parts and functions, students will include all the body parts and their functions in their Wordle text box. After students have chosen just the right masterpiece they can print their creations. Even though I do not have access to a color printer, students will have the option to color their Wordle art with crayons and markers.

Examples of Wordle Art



Breast Cancer

Holocaust






2 comments:

  1. Janene, I agree Wordle is definitely a great tool for any age group. At a workshop I attended as a beginning teacher, the director of the workshop had us match the new state teaching standards with different Wordles. I had forgotten about Wordle since MLT and I'm so glad you reminded me of it. I have got to create some Wordles for my students to use as word puzzles and my students could create Wordles as reviews or as an assessment to see what they have learned from different lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing! Earlier this week I had a couple of teachers ask me to help them make a word collage just like this. They were looking for an easy way to create a tag cloud similar to what is seen on many blog pages.

    Maybe there's something to this social networking thing after all.

    ReplyDelete